Infectious diseases specialists have extensive training in all kinds of infections, including those caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites. Along with this knowledge comes a particular insight into the use of antibiotics and their potential adverse effects.
Your doctor might refer you to an ID specialist when
- an infection is difficult to diagnose
- an infection is accompanied by a high fever
- a patient does not respond to treatment
- a healthy person plans to travel to a foreign country or a location where infection risk is higher
- treating illnesses becomes a part of a patient’s overall care, for example, a patient with HIV/AIDS
In all of these cases, the specialized training and diagnostic tools of the ID specialist can help determine the cause of your infection and the best approach to treatment.